Senior Patent Agent / Patent Attorney
Nimbus has an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional Senior Patent Agent / Patent Attorney to join our team. We are seeking an experienced individual to develop global IP strategies and manage intellectual property efforts to support multiple compounds within discovery, pre-clinical, and clinical development phases. The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide range of intellectual property related matters with an emphasis on patent preparation, prosecution, and strategic counseling. You will report to the Vice President, Head of Intellectual Property.
In this role, you will:
- Build and manage patent portfolios for Nimbus projects by identifying inventions and preparing, prosecuting, maintaining, and defending patent filings for them, especially in technical areas related to new chemical entities and their uses, processes, platforms, and technologies, as well as clinical developments
- Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to Nimbus clients on opportunities to protect their inventions, advise on publication strategies, and mitigate third party risks
- Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate, and formulate patent strategies for Nimbus clients that secure IP positions and freedom-to-operate (FTO), as well as enable IP defense(s)
- Apply expertise in national patent law and practice, in particular for the US but also other major jurisdictions such as EP, JP and CN, including patent trends and case law developments, to devise patent strategies and advice
- Understand other forms of protection relating to exclusivity, and apply as required
- Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators
- Communicate effectively and clearly within R&D organization and Nimbus leadership
- Provide IP support for transactional projects, such as master service agreements with CROs, including advice on contract drafting and negotiation
- Implement publication strategy for Nimbus programs and perform timely review of publication requests
- Deliver work results on-time, on-target, and within budget
These qualifications will help this role be successful:
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Undergraduate degree, such as a B. A. or B.S., in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field
- 4+ years of experience practicing intellectual property with small molecule emphasis
- Excellent analytical, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills
- Advanced degree such as a MS or Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction
- 10+ years of experience practicing patent or intellectual property law within a law firm and/or biotechnology industry
- Experienced in all aspects of U.S. and foreign intellectual property law relating to biotechnology
- Strong management and leadership skills as well as a strong client service focus and the ability to work efficiently, to prioritize workflow, to meet demanding deadlines, and to manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in U.S. and/or foreign adversarial proceedings (such as patent litigation, Inter Partes Reviews, Post Grant Reviews, and oppositions)
A Snapshot of Nimbus
At Nimbus, we design breakthrough medicines. Utilizing our powerful structure-based drug discovery engine, we create potent and selective small molecule compounds targeting proteins that are known to be fundamental drivers of pathology in highly prevalent human diseases and which have proven difficult for other drug makers to tackle. With a decade-plus track record of success, we’ve built a world-class team in both computationally driven drug discovery and early clinical development while continuing to move the needle for patients.
Nimbus is a close-knit company (our employees are Nimbi, if you are curious!) that values a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, intellectual-stimulating, and collaborative environment. We live by our Core Values: Integrity, a Passion for Excellence, Teamwork, and Authentic Communication and strive to build a community where we bring out the best in each other professionally and personally.
Founded in 2009, Nimbus is a private, growing biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Learn more about us by going to www.nimbustx.com
Join Nimbus. We are making a difference and you can too.
At Nimbus, we believe our diversity of backgrounds and experiences strengthens our community and our ability to design breakthrough medicines. We prioritize creating an inclusive, welcoming culture that promotes our core values and encourages every Nimbi to bring their whole selves to their work. Nimbus is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value and celebrate all our employees and recognize that our diversity and inclusion are keys to our success. Nimbus is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law. Nimbus does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.