Senior Director, Structural Biology and Biophysics
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Chemistry, the Senior Director of Structural Biology and Biophysics will provide strategic, technical and tactical expertise and input to Nimbus’ small molecule drug discovery programs through the application of protein structure determination and biophysical methods as an essential component of a structure-based drug design effort, from early hit identification to candidate drug selection.
More specifically, the Senior Director of Structural Biology and Biophysics will:
- Provide leadership and expertise in the protein structure determination and characterization of Nimbus drug targets and their modulation by small molecules
- Partner with protein scientists, biochemists, computational & medicinal chemists to identify and develop high-quality lead compounds for programs
- Contribute to the design and execution of biophysical screening and kinetics studies to support hit identification, validation, compound progression and mechanistic studies
- Collaborate with discovery colleagues, collaborators, CROs and partners to develop structural biology strategies to advance our portfolio of drug targets
- Establish and maintain strong productive relationships with external partners and collaborators
The qualifications we are seeking
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or related field with 15+ years of industry experience
- Sound knowledge of structural biology, protein science and biophysics
- Passion for structure determination of protein-ligand complexes by x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM
- Deep understanding of the characterization of protein-ligand interactions by biophysical methods. Strong working knowledge of techniques such as NMR, ITC, TSA, SPR, MST, etc.
- Broad drug discovery background from target selection through development candidate nomination
- Track record of experimental design, assay development/optimization and data analysis
- Skills in managing multiple projects from different therapeutic targets with clear understanding of project needs and ensuring delivery of high-quality data with clear communication of timeline
- Experience working productively in a multidisciplinary team environment with externalized resourcing
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
A snapshot of Nimbus
Nimbus is a ~ 30 person biotechnology company located in the thriving biotech hub of Cambridge, Massachusetts. We transform drug development by integrating computational drug discovery techniques, a cutting-edge computational chemistry platform and other advanced technologies to design breakthrough medicines for patients.
We focus on promising targets in metabolic disease, oncology and inflammation. These include both emerging and well-validated targets that have proven intractable to others in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
Nimbus offers a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team-focused work environment. The culture is intellectually stimulating, flexible and results-oriented. Joining our team offers significant opportunities to grow professionally and personally.
We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, vacation, and employer 401K contribution). Being part of Nimbus (a Nimbi, if you’re curious), allows you to become part of a small close-knit professional team that strives to bring out the best in each other by working hard and having fun together (including company lunches and outings, running, rocking and even bowling from time to time!).
Join Nimbus. We are making a difference and you can too. Find out more at www.NimbusTx.com.